About the position
The Senior Scientist is responsible for the development and optimization of the CHO bioreactor process for production of biotherapeutics. This position requires broad expertise, and the capability of contributing to both drug discovery and development projects. The position requires strong interest in bench work and hands-on mammalian cell culture experiments.
- Hands-on involvement in the CHO cell line development and upstream bioreactor process development
- Prepare CHO expression vector
- Design CHO expression platform and develop cell line characterization
- Knowledge of mammalian cell culture, media development, and primary recovery
- Collaborate with project teams and downstream process development scientists to execute protocols, experimental plans, critical production batches, and tech transfers
- Prioritize work on multiple projects, support and closely work with other divisions to advance company goals and guide efforts toward scalable and robust culture processes
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements. Write and review Standard Operating Procedures and reports for regulatory filing, laboratory duties, experiment design, data analysis and process monitoring
- Establish process transfer documents and cGMP documents to support successful implementation of process technology in clinical/commercial manufacturing operations
- Collaborate with R&D and the manufacturing department in China. Accommodate meetings and technical support as needed
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, with a capability to deliver complex objectives under aggressive timelines
- Working weekend and holiday shifts are required as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Ph.D. degree with five or more years’ experience in mammalian cell culture.
- Strong scientific background of recombinant protein expression, cell line development, cellular metabolism, and media optimization.
- Experience in early and late-stage bioreactor experience, mammalian stable cell line, and upstream process development is desired.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to connect with internal and external CROs. Ability to read or write in Mandarin is a plus.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Strong scientific, medical and analytical abilities with innovative, solution-oriented style.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access required. Proficiency with email required.
Certificates and Licenses
- None required.
- This job may have supervisory responsibilities.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This individual will work in cell culture laboratory alongside other scientists and in a standard business office with desktop business equipment and a moderate noise level.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. This individual must be able to handle, assemble and manipulate bioreactor components and operate standard laboratory and business equipment.